The spinach makes this cake a vibrant green colour, but you can’t actually taste the spinach. It's a fun hidden vegetaboe cake that tastes like a vanilla sponge, but there’s a little added goodness in there from the leafy greens. It makes for a fun cake colour and it’s perfect for parties.
Ingredients for cake:
- 3 cups (150g) raw spinach
- 3 large eggs (or flax eggs)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (150g) sugar
- ⅔ cup (100g) smooth applesauce
- ½ cup (100ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Ingredients for frosting:
- ½ stick (75g) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (250g) powdered icing sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Optional - sprinkles to decorate
Instruction for cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Grease and line 2 x 8 inch (20cm) cake tins.
- Steam or simmer the spinach for a few minutes until wilted.
- Run under cold water to refresh, drain and squeeze out any excess moisture.
- Puree well with a hand blender and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, oil, vanilla, applesauce and sugar together well. Beat in the spinach puree.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and gently stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely
Instruction for frosting:
- Beat all ingredients together until fluffy. If necessary add a little more milk to thin or icing sugar to thicken.
- Refrigerate until ready to spread on the completely cooled cake. Decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
Recipie inspired by Kate, a food blogger! Find more info on: https://veggiedesserts.com/vanilla-spinach-cake-with-vanilla-frosting/